- Coming Soon March 27
At first glance, the first trailer for Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot could be mistaken for yet another superhero blockbuster. "Crime violence and fear have run rampant," says a sinister male voiceover in a generic monologue. "Our great city is being destroyed. People want justice restored to this world. People want heroes, Miss O'Neil. But heroes are not born. They're created. That's what your father and I were trying to do. create heroes."
And then, BAM! Leonardo backflips into the movie, twirling a pair of katanas. Yes, the Ninja Turtles are back, though their new CGI look is a little unsettling (and the trailer features a disheartening lack of both pizza and "Cowabunga"). Though this trailer is only 90 seconds long, it's clear that Michael Bay is shaking up the series' familiar status quo — but we'll have to wait until the movie hits theaters in May to find out exactly what these Michael Bay-ified Turtles are up to. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week