- Coming Soon March 27
At first glance, the first trailer for Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot could be mistaken for yet another superhero blockbuster. "Crime violence and fear have run rampant," says a sinister male voiceover in a generic monologue. "Our great city is being destroyed. People want justice restored to this world. People want heroes, Miss O'Neil. But heroes are not born. They're created. That's what your father and I were trying to do. create heroes."
And then, BAM! Leonardo backflips into the movie, twirling a pair of katanas. Yes, the Ninja Turtles are back, though their new CGI look is a little unsettling (and the trailer features a disheartening lack of both pizza and "Cowabunga"). Though this trailer is only 90 seconds long, it's clear that Michael Bay is shaking up the series' familiar status quo — but we'll have to wait until the movie hits theaters in May to find out exactly what these Michael Bay-ified Turtles are up to. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why America needs more billionaires
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
Subscribe to the Week