- This is terrible March 28
A Mississippi news anchor is under fire for posting inflammatory remarks on his personal Facebook page about the amount of coverage LGBT issues have been receiving lately. WLOX-TV anchor Dave Elliot said that while he's all for the LGBT community's "ongoing fight for equality," they have been in the news "too much" lately. "Maybe they should take a short break. Go on a gaycation... just for the weekend," he suggested.
The comment, which was first spotted by Jim Romensko's media blog, drew ire from his bosses at the Biloxi-based ABC/CBS affiliate. On Facebook, the station said they weren't happy to receive this type of "free publicity" for Elliott's remarks and said they're committed to covering issues concerning the gay community. Elliott apologized soon after for his "insensitive and unprofessional" post.
"I've advocated for justice and equality for my entire life," he said.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week