- This is terrible March 28
A Mississippi news anchor is under fire for posting inflammatory remarks on his personal Facebook page about the amount of coverage LGBT issues have been receiving lately. WLOX-TV anchor Dave Elliot said that while he's all for the LGBT community's "ongoing fight for equality," they have been in the news "too much" lately. "Maybe they should take a short break. Go on a gaycation... just for the weekend," he suggested.
The comment, which was first spotted by Jim Romensko's media blog, drew ire from his bosses at the Biloxi-based ABC/CBS affiliate. On Facebook, the station said they weren't happy to receive this type of "free publicity" for Elliott's remarks and said they're committed to covering issues concerning the gay community. Elliott apologized soon after for his "insensitive and unprofessional" post.
"I've advocated for justice and equality for my entire life," he said.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
Subscribe to the Week