- This is terrible March 28
A Mississippi news anchor is under fire for posting inflammatory remarks on his personal Facebook page about the amount of coverage LGBT issues have been receiving lately. WLOX-TV anchor Dave Elliot said that while he's all for the LGBT community's "ongoing fight for equality," they have been in the news "too much" lately. "Maybe they should take a short break. Go on a gaycation... just for the weekend," he suggested.
The comment, which was first spotted by Jim Romensko's media blog, drew ire from his bosses at the Biloxi-based ABC/CBS affiliate. On Facebook, the station said they weren't happy to receive this type of "free publicity" for Elliott's remarks and said they're committed to covering issues concerning the gay community. Elliott apologized soon after for his "insensitive and unprofessional" post.
"I've advocated for justice and equality for my entire life," he said.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week