- This is terrible March 28
A Mississippi news anchor is under fire for posting inflammatory remarks on his personal Facebook page about the amount of coverage LGBT issues have been receiving lately. WLOX-TV anchor Dave Elliot said that while he's all for the LGBT community's "ongoing fight for equality," they have been in the news "too much" lately. "Maybe they should take a short break. Go on a gaycation... just for the weekend," he suggested.
The comment, which was first spotted by Jim Romensko's media blog, drew ire from his bosses at the Biloxi-based ABC/CBS affiliate. On Facebook, the station said they weren't happy to receive this type of "free publicity" for Elliott's remarks and said they're committed to covering issues concerning the gay community. Elliott apologized soon after for his "insensitive and unprofessional" post.
"I've advocated for justice and equality for my entire life," he said.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week