- Living Large March 31
Lightning can strike twice, even three times — and so can good luck at the lottery.
Calvin and Zatera Spencer were thrilled when they hit the Powerball jackpot with a $1 million win earlier this month. But their newfound wealth didn't stop them from continuing to try their luck. Just two weeks later, the Virginia couple scored $50,000 in a Pick 4 game. The Spencers turned their string of wins into a lottery hat-trick a day later, when they netted another $1 million from a scratcher.
With three big wins under their belt, the Spencers say they'll keep playing out their lucky streak. "We're not finished yet," Calvin Spencer told the Daily Press. --Samantha Rollins
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week