- Living Large March 31
Lightning can strike twice, even three times — and so can good luck at the lottery.
Calvin and Zatera Spencer were thrilled when they hit the Powerball jackpot with a $1 million win earlier this month. But their newfound wealth didn't stop them from continuing to try their luck. Just two weeks later, the Virginia couple scored $50,000 in a Pick 4 game. The Spencers turned their string of wins into a lottery hat-trick a day later, when they netted another $1 million from a scratcher.
With three big wins under their belt, the Spencers say they'll keep playing out their lucky streak. "We're not finished yet," Calvin Spencer told the Daily Press. --Samantha Rollins
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week