- corrections & clarifications April 1
Based on the Twitter explosion immediately following last night's How I Met Your Mother finale — and the raft of angry reviews that critics have published today — most viewers were less than thrilled with the CBS sitcom's ending. In its final hour, the show rolled out a series of controversial twists: Barney and Robin got divorced, Barney became a father after a one-night stand with a nameless woman, the mother died due to an unspecified illness, and the widowed Ted embarked on a new relationship with Robin (with the express support of his kids).
Pretty much none of it worked. But the finale did have one genuinely affecting scene: The long-awaited meeting between Ted and the mother on the Farhampton train platform. If you're one of the many viewers who wanted How I Met Your Mother to be about, you know, meeting the mother, one fan has already provided a quick fix: An edited version that provides the simple, poignant ending the show deserved. Watch it below. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week