- corrections & clarifications April 1
Based on the Twitter explosion immediately following last night's How I Met Your Mother finale — and the raft of angry reviews that critics have published today — most viewers were less than thrilled with the CBS sitcom's ending. In its final hour, the show rolled out a series of controversial twists: Barney and Robin got divorced, Barney became a father after a one-night stand with a nameless woman, the mother died due to an unspecified illness, and the widowed Ted embarked on a new relationship with Robin (with the express support of his kids).
Pretty much none of it worked. But the finale did have one genuinely affecting scene: The long-awaited meeting between Ted and the mother on the Farhampton train platform. If you're one of the many viewers who wanted How I Met Your Mother to be about, you know, meeting the mother, one fan has already provided a quick fix: An edited version that provides the simple, poignant ending the show deserved. Watch it below. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: July 28, 2014
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
Subscribe to the Week