- Watch this April 10
Add this to the list of things Hillary Clinton has in common with George W. Bush: A woman threw a shoe at the former secretary of state Thursday afternoon while she was delivering an address at the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries meeting.
Clinton flinched as the shoe flew past her head, but she was not hit. She took the incident in stride, joking, "Is that part of Cirque du Soleil?"
Mike Carpenter, a spokesman for the institute, said in a statement that the woman, who has not been identified, was not affiliated with the organization, nor was she supposed to be at the event. "Our staff denied her access before she later rushed past security," he said. "An ISRI staffer then stopped her as she approached the stage. She was then handed over to law enforcement." Watch the incident unfold below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- On immigration, Obama is flirting with tyranny
- Why are newspaper comics so terrible?
- Hillary Clinton needs to win big in 2016. Here's how she can do it.
- Don't change a thing: 8 inventions that never needed updating
- How to be charismatic, according to science
Subscribe to the Week