- Watch this April 10
Add this to the list of things Hillary Clinton has in common with George W. Bush: A woman threw a shoe at the former secretary of state Thursday afternoon while she was delivering an address at the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries meeting.
Clinton flinched as the shoe flew past her head, but she was not hit. She took the incident in stride, joking, "Is that part of Cirque du Soleil?"
Mike Carpenter, a spokesman for the institute, said in a statement that the woman, who has not been identified, was not affiliated with the organization, nor was she supposed to be at the event. "Our staff denied her access before she later rushed past security," he said. "An ISRI staffer then stopped her as she approached the stage. She was then handed over to law enforcement." Watch the incident unfold below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week