- Watch this April 10
Add this to the list of things Hillary Clinton has in common with George W. Bush: A woman threw a shoe at the former secretary of state Thursday afternoon while she was delivering an address at the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries meeting.
Clinton flinched as the shoe flew past her head, but she was not hit. She took the incident in stride, joking, "Is that part of Cirque du Soleil?"
Mike Carpenter, a spokesman for the institute, said in a statement that the woman, who has not been identified, was not affiliated with the organization, nor was she supposed to be at the event. "Our staff denied her access before she later rushed past security," he said. "An ISRI staffer then stopped her as she approached the stage. She was then handed over to law enforcement." Watch the incident unfold below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
Subscribe to the Week