- The Daily Showdown April 24
On Thursday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart admitted that he is, in fact, a bit obsessed with Fox News host Sean Hannity, as Hannity had suggested on his show Tuesday night. But obsession isn't pretty, and Stewart didn't mean it in a nice way. On The Daily Show, calling someone "the Arby's of news" isn't a compliment.
This brewing spat started on Monday night, when Stewart mocked Hannity for supporting Nevada cattle rancher Cliven Bundy in his battle against the federal BLM. Hannity hit back on Tuesday night. On Wednesday's show, Stewart walked through Hannity's criticisms and showed why the Fox News star is tossing his verbal stones from a glass house.
Stay with it until the end, though. That's when Stewart moves from his typical clip juxtaposition and satirical gymnastics to a timely history lesson about the founding fathers and the rule of law. Hannity's colleague Bill O'Reilly has a long-running, largely friendly, mutually beneficial feud going with Stewart, but Hannity just walked into a trap: Stewart's simply better at this game, and his writers do their homework. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
Subscribe to the Week