- steak out April 29
It looks like steak lovers might soon have some beef with Chipotle. The rising costs of ingredients have forced the Mexican fast food company to implement an across-the-menu price increase that will impact steak lovers the hardest. Jack Hartung, Chipotle's chief financial officer, said Tuesday that there will soon be a larger price disparity between its chicken and steak fillings to combat rising beef prices, as the price of beef has increased by 25 percent in the last year.
"We're going to allow our customers to choose whether they want to pay the higher price of steak," said Hartung. That means the cost of steak will rise between 4 and 6 percent, or between 32 and 50 cents per burrito.
Chipotle said the price increases will debut sometime this summer, but the new prices have yet to be determined.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week