- steak out April 29
It looks like steak lovers might soon have some beef with Chipotle. The rising costs of ingredients have forced the Mexican fast food company to implement an across-the-menu price increase that will impact steak lovers the hardest. Jack Hartung, Chipotle's chief financial officer, said Tuesday that there will soon be a larger price disparity between its chicken and steak fillings to combat rising beef prices, as the price of beef has increased by 25 percent in the last year.
"We're going to allow our customers to choose whether they want to pay the higher price of steak," said Hartung. That means the cost of steak will rise between 4 and 6 percent, or between 32 and 50 cents per burrito.
Chipotle said the price increases will debut sometime this summer, but the new prices have yet to be determined.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week