- Free stuff May 2
For the past 12 years, thousands of comic book shops around the world have designated the first Saturday in May "Free Comic Book Day" — a magical time when anyone can walk into their friendly neighborhood comic book shop and wander away with at least one free issue. (Yes, 100 percent free. Really.)
This year's lineup of free comics includes a number of titles featuring popular characters, including Archie, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Transformers vs. G.I. Joe. There are also some intriguing obscurities, including a comic version of Les Miserables, a steampunk riff on Star Wars, and a comic-book history of Japan. You can read a full list of the 60 free titles that will be available here.
Interested? Go to Free Comic Book Day's official website to locate all the participating comic book stores in your ZIP code. Happy reading!- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- California's epic drought
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week