- May the fourth be with you May 4
May fourth is Star Wars Day, and fans of the seminal franchise are celebrating worldwide today with parties, costumes, intergalactic drinks, more costumes, and reenactments. But while poking through some of Getty's images from a gathering in Rome, I came across this photo that diehard Star Wars nerds should find abhorrent:
That's a Leia impersonator kissing a clone trooper — the prequel soldiers who become Imperial Stormtroopers. You know, the goons who kidnap Leia in the original movies and kill her rebel friends and so on. So naturally, there are a couple of problems with this image.
1) Leia would never kiss the enemy.
2) The guy looks a little short for a stormtrooper.
Anyway, points to both role players for all the effort that went into their outfits. And bonus points to members of the Star Wars fan club for giving us this amazing image in front of the Colosseum. --Jon Terbush
UPDATE: Though Getty's photo description claims Leia is kissing a clone trooper, a number of outraged fans have pointed out that she is actually kissing a Mandalorian. Jango Fett, whose genetic offspring are the clone troopers, was a Mandalorian bounty hunter, hence the similarities in their attire. That said, why Leia is kissing a Mandalorian mercenary and not her husband, Han Solo, remains unclear.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week