- Runner-up no more May 13
Clay Aiken, famous American Idol runner-up and one of the show's top 10 earners, has just won the Democratic nomination for Congress in his home state of North Carolina.
Aiken's main opponent, 71-year-old Keith Crisco, was found dead in his home yesterday. Aiken and Crisco had been within a few hundred votes of each other after last week's election. But even before his death, Crisco's campaign manager Christine Botta said that Crisco had plans to concede to Aiken.
This win is a big step for Aiken's political career, though he still faces a tough challenge in trying to topple Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.) in a GOP-leaning district come November.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
Subscribe to the Week