- Runner-up no more May 13
Clay Aiken, famous American Idol runner-up and one of the show's top 10 earners, has just won the Democratic nomination for Congress in his home state of North Carolina.
Aiken's main opponent, 71-year-old Keith Crisco, was found dead in his home yesterday. Aiken and Crisco had been within a few hundred votes of each other after last week's election. But even before his death, Crisco's campaign manager Christine Botta said that Crisco had plans to concede to Aiken.
This win is a big step for Aiken's political career, though he still faces a tough challenge in trying to topple Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.) in a GOP-leaning district come November.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week