- Runner-up no more May 13
Clay Aiken, famous American Idol runner-up and one of the show's top 10 earners, has just won the Democratic nomination for Congress in his home state of North Carolina.
Aiken's main opponent, 71-year-old Keith Crisco, was found dead in his home yesterday. Aiken and Crisco had been within a few hundred votes of each other after last week's election. But even before his death, Crisco's campaign manager Christine Botta said that Crisco had plans to concede to Aiken.
This win is a big step for Aiken's political career, though he still faces a tough challenge in trying to topple Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.) in a GOP-leaning district come November.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week