- Watch this May 13
On Saturday, Michael Sam became the first openly gay player to be drafted into the NFL. After a long wait, the St. Louis Rams selected Sam during the seventh round as the 249th pick overall — a stat that Dallas sports anchor Dale Hansen is confused by.
"Now you'll never convince me there were 248 better college players and better NFL prospects in that draft," the outspoken WFAA anchor said during his segment "Dale Hansen Unplugged," implying there were other factors involved. "248 better than the SEC defensive player of year? There's just no way."
Hansen then launched into a magnificent rant against Sam's homophobic haters by bringing up his post-draft reaction of kissing his boyfriend. "The world apparently shook, we almost collided with the sun, and yet somehow we have survived another day." --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week