- Really? May 13
After shoppers' outcries on Twitter, a lingerie boutique in New York City has removed a mannequin that featured an exposed ribcage.
La Perla's SoHo window display featured a mannequin with sharply protruding ribs dressed in a bikini and holding a beach towel. After an image of the window made its way to the internet, though, the brand was quick to issue an apology for its poor decision.
"The mannequin photographed has been removed from the store and will not be used again by any La Perla boutique," the brand wrote on TwitLonger. "We are in the process of redesigning all La Perla stores with a new concept image, and the mannequins that are currently displayed in our U.S. stores will no longer be used."
While it's great the brand responded so quickly, critics wondered why the brand purchased the mannequin in the first place. Maybe it's time for La Perla to embrace body positivity and invest in some mannequins with back fat. Below, here's a look at the now-removed mannequin. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- The week's best photojournalism
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How to cook a perfect rib eye steak
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
Subscribe to the Week