- Really? May 13
After shoppers' outcries on Twitter, a lingerie boutique in New York City has removed a mannequin that featured an exposed ribcage.
La Perla's SoHo window display featured a mannequin with sharply protruding ribs dressed in a bikini and holding a beach towel. After an image of the window made its way to the internet, though, the brand was quick to issue an apology for its poor decision.
"The mannequin photographed has been removed from the store and will not be used again by any La Perla boutique," the brand wrote on TwitLonger. "We are in the process of redesigning all La Perla stores with a new concept image, and the mannequins that are currently displayed in our U.S. stores will no longer be used."
While it's great the brand responded so quickly, critics wondered why the brand purchased the mannequin in the first place. Maybe it's time for La Perla to embrace body positivity and invest in some mannequins with back fat. Below, here's a look at the now-removed mannequin. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Surviving a plane crash
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Confessions of a hotel insider
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week