- Really? May 13
After shoppers' outcries on Twitter, a lingerie boutique in New York City has removed a mannequin that featured an exposed ribcage.
La Perla's SoHo window display featured a mannequin with sharply protruding ribs dressed in a bikini and holding a beach towel. After an image of the window made its way to the internet, though, the brand was quick to issue an apology for its poor decision.
"The mannequin photographed has been removed from the store and will not be used again by any La Perla boutique," the brand wrote on TwitLonger. "We are in the process of redesigning all La Perla stores with a new concept image, and the mannequins that are currently displayed in our U.S. stores will no longer be used."
While it's great the brand responded so quickly, critics wondered why the brand purchased the mannequin in the first place. Maybe it's time for La Perla to embrace body positivity and invest in some mannequins with back fat. Below, here's a look at the now-removed mannequin. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week