- Sad but true May 14
Swedish filmmaker Malik Bendjelloul was found dead in Stockholm on Tuesday. Bendjelloul, 36, made just one film in his short career, but that one documentary — Searching for Sugar Man, about mysterious, obscure (outside of South Africa)1970s American folk-rocker Sixto Rodriguez — won him an Oscar in 2013 for best documentary, along with numerous other awards. Police didn't give a cause of death, but said they don't suspect foul play.
Bendjelloul, also a child actor in a Swedish TV show, will mostly be remembered for Sugar Man, a self-financed, largely DIY project that took four years to complete. That's quite a legacy for a life cut too short. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 10 things you need to know today: September 18, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
Subscribe to the Week