- Late Night Antics May 14
It only makes sense that a man who writes about Targaryens, Westeros, and Valyrian steel would hate spell check. On Conan Tuesday night, author George R.R. Martin shared that he writes his epic tomes (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, etc.) not on the latest iMac, but rather on a DOS machine, using WordStar 4.0. "It does everything I want a word processing program to do, and it doesn't do anything else," he said. "I don't want any help. I hate some of these modern systems where you type a lowercase letter and it becomes a capital. I don't want a capital... I know how to work the shift key!" Watch the clip below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week