- Late Night Antics May 14
It only makes sense that a man who writes about Targaryens, Westeros, and Valyrian steel would hate spell check. On Conan Tuesday night, author George R.R. Martin shared that he writes his epic tomes (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, etc.) not on the latest iMac, but rather on a DOS machine, using WordStar 4.0. "It does everything I want a word processing program to do, and it doesn't do anything else," he said. "I don't want any help. I hate some of these modern systems where you type a lowercase letter and it becomes a capital. I don't want a capital... I know how to work the shift key!" Watch the clip below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week