- shine bright May 14
A massive 100-carat yellow diamond sold for a record-breaking $16.3 million at a Sotheby's auction in Geneva. One of most prized and rarest stones in the world, the Graff Vivid Yellow was sold to an undisclosed private buyer to a private vendor, reports Reuters.
Despite the record, the purchase fell short of Sotheby's expectations — it was expected to fetch upwards of $24 million. At least it looks great on a ring. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week