- shine bright May 14
A massive 100-carat yellow diamond sold for a record-breaking $16.3 million at a Sotheby's auction in Geneva. One of most prized and rarest stones in the world, the Graff Vivid Yellow was sold to an undisclosed private buyer to a private vendor, reports Reuters.
Despite the record, the purchase fell short of Sotheby's expectations — it was expected to fetch upwards of $24 million. At least it looks great on a ring. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week