- shine bright May 14
A massive 100-carat yellow diamond sold for a record-breaking $16.3 million at a Sotheby's auction in Geneva. One of most prized and rarest stones in the world, the Graff Vivid Yellow was sold to an undisclosed private buyer to a private vendor, reports Reuters.
Despite the record, the purchase fell short of Sotheby's expectations — it was expected to fetch upwards of $24 million. At least it looks great on a ring. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to live a long life, according to science
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
Subscribe to the Week