- shine bright May 14
A massive 100-carat yellow diamond sold for a record-breaking $16.3 million at a Sotheby's auction in Geneva. One of most prized and rarest stones in the world, the Graff Vivid Yellow was sold to an undisclosed private buyer to a private vendor, reports Reuters.
Despite the record, the purchase fell short of Sotheby's expectations — it was expected to fetch upwards of $24 million. At least it looks great on a ring. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week