- shine bright May 14
A massive 100-carat yellow diamond sold for a record-breaking $16.3 million at a Sotheby's auction in Geneva. One of most prized and rarest stones in the world, the Graff Vivid Yellow was sold to an undisclosed private buyer to a private vendor, reports Reuters.
Despite the record, the purchase fell short of Sotheby's expectations — it was expected to fetch upwards of $24 million. At least it looks great on a ring. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Why insects are the future of food
Subscribe to the Week