- shine bright May 14
A massive 100-carat yellow diamond sold for a record-breaking $16.3 million at a Sotheby's auction in Geneva. One of most prized and rarest stones in the world, the Graff Vivid Yellow was sold to an undisclosed private buyer to a private vendor, reports Reuters.
Despite the record, the purchase fell short of Sotheby's expectations — it was expected to fetch upwards of $24 million. At least it looks great on a ring. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week