- shine bright May 14
A massive 100-carat yellow diamond sold for a record-breaking $16.3 million at a Sotheby's auction in Geneva. One of most prized and rarest stones in the world, the Graff Vivid Yellow was sold to an undisclosed private buyer to a private vendor, reports Reuters.
Despite the record, the purchase fell short of Sotheby's expectations — it was expected to fetch upwards of $24 million. At least it looks great on a ring. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
Subscribe to the Week