- Quotables May 14
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is a consistent, vocal hawk, so it's not surprising to see that he told The Daily Beast's Josh Rogin that, as president, he would send troops to Nigeria "without permission of the host country" to rescue the kidnapped schoolgirls. What is surprising, though, is his less-than-diplomatic way of referring to the leader of Africa's most populous nation.
"I wouldn't be waiting for some kind of permission from some guy named Goodluck Jonathan," he said.
Some guy named Barack Obama has already sent a team of military and intelligence operatives to Nigeria to aid in the search.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- House hunting: 6 stunning historic conversions
Subscribe to the Week