- more like apologetic May 14
Rihanna donated $25,000 to the Los Angeles Police Department as a mea culpa for breaking the department president's phone.
Last week, the singer found herself sitting next to Police Commission President Steve Soboroff at a Clippers playoff game and asked to take a selfie. Unfortunately, Rihanna dropped the phone after taking the photo and cracked the commissioner's screen. He later tweeted a (happy) picture holding the smashed phone that now bore Rihanna's autograph.
Apparently still embarrassed, Rihanna then made the donation to a LAPD fund for fallen officers, the Los Angeles Times reports. Soboroff is bolstering the fundraising by auctioning off the signed phone on eBay where it's going for $13,000. Bidding ends tomorrow. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- 21 fancy medical terms for mundane problems
- How I became a borderline hoarder
Subscribe to the Week