- more like apologetic May 14
Rihanna donated $25,000 to the Los Angeles Police Department as a mea culpa for breaking the department president's phone.
Last week, the singer found herself sitting next to Police Commission President Steve Soboroff at a Clippers playoff game and asked to take a selfie. Unfortunately, Rihanna dropped the phone after taking the photo and cracked the commissioner's screen. He later tweeted a (happy) picture holding the smashed phone that now bore Rihanna's autograph.
Apparently still embarrassed, Rihanna then made the donation to a LAPD fund for fallen officers, the Los Angeles Times reports. Soboroff is bolstering the fundraising by auctioning off the signed phone on eBay where it's going for $13,000. Bidding ends tomorrow. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
Subscribe to the Week