- more like apologetic May 14
Rihanna donated $25,000 to the Los Angeles Police Department as a mea culpa for breaking the department president's phone.
Last week, the singer found herself sitting next to Police Commission President Steve Soboroff at a Clippers playoff game and asked to take a selfie. Unfortunately, Rihanna dropped the phone after taking the photo and cracked the commissioner's screen. He later tweeted a (happy) picture holding the smashed phone that now bore Rihanna's autograph.
Apparently still embarrassed, Rihanna then made the donation to a LAPD fund for fallen officers, the Los Angeles Times reports. Soboroff is bolstering the fundraising by auctioning off the signed phone on eBay where it's going for $13,000. Bidding ends tomorrow. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Why insects are the future of food
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week