- more like apologetic May 14
Rihanna donated $25,000 to the Los Angeles Police Department as a mea culpa for breaking the department president's phone.
Last week, the singer found herself sitting next to Police Commission President Steve Soboroff at a Clippers playoff game and asked to take a selfie. Unfortunately, Rihanna dropped the phone after taking the photo and cracked the commissioner's screen. He later tweeted a (happy) picture holding the smashed phone that now bore Rihanna's autograph.
Apparently still embarrassed, Rihanna then made the donation to a LAPD fund for fallen officers, the Los Angeles Times reports. Soboroff is bolstering the fundraising by auctioning off the signed phone on eBay where it's going for $13,000. Bidding ends tomorrow. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week