- more like apologetic May 14
Rihanna donated $25,000 to the Los Angeles Police Department as a mea culpa for breaking the department president's phone.
Last week, the singer found herself sitting next to Police Commission President Steve Soboroff at a Clippers playoff game and asked to take a selfie. Unfortunately, Rihanna dropped the phone after taking the photo and cracked the commissioner's screen. He later tweeted a (happy) picture holding the smashed phone that now bore Rihanna's autograph.
Apparently still embarrassed, Rihanna then made the donation to a LAPD fund for fallen officers, the Los Angeles Times reports. Soboroff is bolstering the fundraising by auctioning off the signed phone on eBay where it's going for $13,000. Bidding ends tomorrow. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The NFL is terrified of the culture war
Subscribe to the Week