- Politics May 14
She was too young to vote for herself, but Saira Blair still ended up beating her rival in the Republican primary for West Virginia House of Delegates District 59, incumbent Larry Kump.
The West Virginia 17-year-old defeated the two-term state delegate, 872-728, The Washington Post reports. During the campaign (in which she spent $4,800), Blair shared on her Facebook page that she is a member of the WV Citizens Defense League and the NRA, and is "pro-family, pro-2nd Amendment, pro-business, pro-jobs, and pro-West Virginia."
She also used her Facebook page to announce she would promote and support conservative fiscal policy for state government and wouldn't do anything to "embarrass" the district, like introducing legislation to sever the area from the rest of West Virginia. "I think I'm fully capable of doing the job, and I don't think it's rocket science by any means — not if you just listen to the people," Blair told the Hagerstown Herald-Mail earlier this week.
Politics are a family affair for Blair; her father, Craig Blair, is a state senator. In November, Blair will face the Democratic nominee, Layne Diehl, but she's favored to win; The Post says that in 2012, almost two-thirds of the votes in her district went to Mitt Romney. By that time, Blair will have almost one semester down at West Virginia University — and will finally be able to vote for herself.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week