- Crime and punishment May 15
Joran van der Sloot — the man who helped keep Nancy Grace's ratings afloat for several years — will marry a woman he met while serving his 28-year sentence for killing a Peruvian woman, CNN reports.
Van der Sloot was the main suspect in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway, who went missing in Aruba in 2005 (and was featured on Nancy Grace countless times). He was arrested twice in connection to the Holloway case but never charged, and is currently in prison for the 2010 murder of Stephany Flores in a Lima hotel room. He met his future wife, 23-year-old Leydi Carol Figueroa Uceda, while she was visiting a relative in his prison. "They've spent a lot of time together in his cell," Van der Sloot's defense attorney, Maximo Altez, told CNN. "Unlike the United States, here in Peru loved ones or relatives can see inmates inside their jails."
Not only will they marry sometime this month or next in the prison chapel, but Uceda is also five months pregnant. "He's getting married because he's in love and is having a child," Altez said. "There are no hidden agendas." Van der Sloot is scheduled for release in 2038, but will be allowed to meet the baby after it is delivered.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- How to flirt, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Incheon: the next white elephant city
Subscribe to the Week