- happening now May 15
More than half a dozen fires in north San Diego County on Tuesday forced evacuations of homes, schools, businesses, and California State University, San Marcos. Driven by hot winds and high temperatures, the blazes destroyed or damaged eight homes, two commercial buildings, and an eight-unit apartment building, the Los Angeles Times reports. Officials say that the fire is no longer spreading, but still is not contained and has several dangerous hotspots. The pictures below show the various fires throughout the day. --Catherine Garcia
Very cool shot- US Marines deployed an Hovercraft to help w/brush fire near San Onofre- just landed on beach. pic.twitter.com/Fso00k8poi— Tara Wallis (@tarawallis) May 14, 2014
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
Subscribe to the Week