- happening now May 15
More than half a dozen fires in north San Diego County on Tuesday forced evacuations of homes, schools, businesses, and California State University, San Marcos. Driven by hot winds and high temperatures, the blazes destroyed or damaged eight homes, two commercial buildings, and an eight-unit apartment building, the Los Angeles Times reports. Officials say that the fire is no longer spreading, but still is not contained and has several dangerous hotspots. The pictures below show the various fires throughout the day. --Catherine Garcia
Very cool shot- US Marines deployed an Hovercraft to help w/brush fire near San Onofre- just landed on beach. pic.twitter.com/Fso00k8poi— Tara Wallis (@tarawallis) May 14, 2014
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week