- The Daily Showdown May 15
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart put on his media-criticism hat to mock (mostly TV) journalists and pundits for obsessively covering the leaked CCTV video purportedly showing Solange Knowles attacking brother-in-law Jay Z in a hotel elevator. (The hotel says it has fired the person who leaked the video and is "pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies," reports CNN, proving Stewart's point.)
The lack of audio just makes the video a better story — TV personalities can spend hours on baseless speculation about the cause of the fight — and Stewart autopsied the ridiculous ways the cable networks tapped into public fascination with the video. Which has a tinge of irony — keep in mind that Stewart dedicated a good 10 minutes to this story himself. But he made good use of having a Senior Beyoncé Correspondent, Jessica Williams, and even convinced Blondie's Debbie Harry to film a PSA. Top that, CNN. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to live a long life, according to science
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
Why is Obama still smoking?
Subscribe to the Week