- The Daily Showdown May 15
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart put on his media-criticism hat to mock (mostly TV) journalists and pundits for obsessively covering the leaked CCTV video purportedly showing Solange Knowles attacking brother-in-law Jay Z in a hotel elevator. (The hotel says it has fired the person who leaked the video and is "pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies," reports CNN, proving Stewart's point.)
The lack of audio just makes the video a better story — TV personalities can spend hours on baseless speculation about the cause of the fight — and Stewart autopsied the ridiculous ways the cable networks tapped into public fascination with the video. Which has a tinge of irony — keep in mind that Stewart dedicated a good 10 minutes to this story himself. But he made good use of having a Senior Beyoncé Correspondent, Jessica Williams, and even convinced Blondie's Debbie Harry to film a PSA. Top that, CNN. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week