- The Daily Showdown May 15
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart put on his media-criticism hat to mock (mostly TV) journalists and pundits for obsessively covering the leaked CCTV video purportedly showing Solange Knowles attacking brother-in-law Jay Z in a hotel elevator. (The hotel says it has fired the person who leaked the video and is "pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies," reports CNN, proving Stewart's point.)
The lack of audio just makes the video a better story — TV personalities can spend hours on baseless speculation about the cause of the fight — and Stewart autopsied the ridiculous ways the cable networks tapped into public fascination with the video. Which has a tinge of irony — keep in mind that Stewart dedicated a good 10 minutes to this story himself. But he made good use of having a Senior Beyoncé Correspondent, Jessica Williams, and even convinced Blondie's Debbie Harry to film a PSA. Top that, CNN. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week