- The Daily Showdown May 15
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart put on his media-criticism hat to mock (mostly TV) journalists and pundits for obsessively covering the leaked CCTV video purportedly showing Solange Knowles attacking brother-in-law Jay Z in a hotel elevator. (The hotel says it has fired the person who leaked the video and is "pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies," reports CNN, proving Stewart's point.)
The lack of audio just makes the video a better story — TV personalities can spend hours on baseless speculation about the cause of the fight — and Stewart autopsied the ridiculous ways the cable networks tapped into public fascination with the video. Which has a tinge of irony — keep in mind that Stewart dedicated a good 10 minutes to this story himself. But he made good use of having a Senior Beyoncé Correspondent, Jessica Williams, and even convinced Blondie's Debbie Harry to film a PSA. Top that, CNN. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
Subscribe to the Week