- The Daily Showdown May 15
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart put on his media-criticism hat to mock (mostly TV) journalists and pundits for obsessively covering the leaked CCTV video purportedly showing Solange Knowles attacking brother-in-law Jay Z in a hotel elevator. (The hotel says it has fired the person who leaked the video and is "pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies," reports CNN, proving Stewart's point.)
The lack of audio just makes the video a better story — TV personalities can spend hours on baseless speculation about the cause of the fight — and Stewart autopsied the ridiculous ways the cable networks tapped into public fascination with the video. Which has a tinge of irony — keep in mind that Stewart dedicated a good 10 minutes to this story himself. But he made good use of having a Senior Beyoncé Correspondent, Jessica Williams, and even convinced Blondie's Debbie Harry to film a PSA. Top that, CNN. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week