- Look at this May 15
In an event typically reserved for fragile marine ecosystems, as many as 10,000 gallons of oil spilled on to the streets of a northeastern Los Angeles neighborhood last night after an oil pipeline burst. KNBC-TV reports oil was seen shooting 10 to 15 feet in the sky and nearby businesses were evacuated. The fire department said in a statement the oil was even "knee high" in some areas. The oil line was quickly shut off and no injuries were reported. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week