- Awkward May 15
Easing New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's (R) mind, a Thursday ceremony to dedicate the September 11 museum nixed at the last minute a performance of the song "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
Idina Menzel was scheduled to perform the classic Simon & Garfunkel tune right after Christie's remarks. But Menzel reportedly fell ill before the ceremony, so Tony Award-winner LaChanze took her place to sing "Amazing Grace" instead.
Organizers said the originally planned song wasn't meant as a jab to Christie, and that the last-minute switch also had nothing to do with the governor.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- How America's broken immigration system is failing the military
Subscribe to the Week