- Awkward May 15
Easing New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's (R) mind, a Thursday ceremony to dedicate the September 11 museum nixed at the last minute a performance of the song "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
Idina Menzel was scheduled to perform the classic Simon & Garfunkel tune right after Christie's remarks. But Menzel reportedly fell ill before the ceremony, so Tony Award-winner LaChanze took her place to sing "Amazing Grace" instead.
Organizers said the originally planned song wasn't meant as a jab to Christie, and that the last-minute switch also had nothing to do with the governor.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why gay people of color are still losing
Subscribe to the Week