- Great news for the hip wader industry May 16
Last week you may remember news that scientists have discovered that a big chunk of the West Antarctica ice sheet has been irrevocably destabilized. It's going to slowly melt into the ocean, raising worldwide sea levels by about four feet over the next decades and centuries. If the whole sheet goes, it would raise sea levels by about 10-13 feet.
So folks over at Climate Central handed data they had collected about coastal mapping to an artist named Nickolay Lamm, who made some amazingly realistic pictures (published below with permission) of what famous cities would look like if the sea level rose by 12 feet.
Here's the Jefferson Memorial:
Here's Ocean Drive in Miami:
Here's AT&T Park in San Francisco:
Start practicing your sandbag shoveling! For the rest, head over to Climate Central.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Behind the scenes at small-town America's beauty pageants
Subscribe to the Week