- Your daily cry May 16
A news anchor from Taiwan's CtiTV was reportedly found dead at his home in Taipei on Thursday. Authorities suspect suicide. It is the kind of news no family member or friend wants to hear, let alone deliver.
But a fellow CtiTV reporter did just that, despite not knowing about her colleague's death prior to the live broadcast. She starts, "This just in," according to the YouTube captions. She manages to get through the first sentence, but her stoic demeanor cracks as she reads the words that detail her friend's death. Her mouth turns down, her chin wobbles, her eyes tear up, and her voice cracks, but she completes the segment with heartbreaking poise.
It is the kind of rare occupational hazard that no one should have to endure. You can turn on the YouTube captions in the video below, but the impact is just as strong without. --Lauren Hansen
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How I lost all my money
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week