- Your daily cry May 16
A news anchor from Taiwan's CtiTV was reportedly found dead at his home in Taipei on Thursday. Authorities suspect suicide. It is the kind of news no family member or friend wants to hear, let alone deliver.
But a fellow CtiTV reporter did just that, despite not knowing about her colleague's death prior to the live broadcast. She starts, "This just in," according to the YouTube captions. She manages to get through the first sentence, but her stoic demeanor cracks as she reads the words that detail her friend's death. Her mouth turns down, her chin wobbles, her eyes tear up, and her voice cracks, but she completes the segment with heartbreaking poise.
It is the kind of rare occupational hazard that no one should have to endure. You can turn on the YouTube captions in the video below, but the impact is just as strong without. --Lauren Hansen
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
Subscribe to the Week