- Coming Soon May 16
Christopher Nolan tends to keep his cards close to his chest — so while Interstellar has been in the works for nearly a year, audiences have known virtually nothing. Finally, with the release of the first trailer for the film, we can get a sense for what the Dark Knight trilogy's director has in store next.
Interstellar is set in a dystopian near-future where the earth's food supply has run out — and Matthew McConaughey's Cooper has been selected to travel into space to find a new world for humankind to inhabit. "We're not meant to save the world. We're meant to leave it," says Michael Caine in the trailer. "We must reach far beyond our own lifespans. We must think not as individuals but as a species. We must confront the reality of interstellar travel."
Christopher Nolan hasn't directed a movie since The Dark Knight Rises, and Interstellar reunites him with several of that movie's cast members, including Caine and Anne Hathaway. But for many moviegoers, an even bigger draw than Nolan might be Matthew McConaughey, who's coming off a Best Actor win for Dallas Buyers Club and a highly acclaimed performance in HBO's True Detective. If that's not enough to get you excited, remember: the last time Christopher Nolan released a totally original movie, we got Inception — so expectations are very high for November, when Interstellar will finally arrive in theaters. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week