- Coming Soon May 16
Christopher Nolan tends to keep his cards close to his chest — so while Interstellar has been in the works for nearly a year, audiences have known virtually nothing. Finally, with the release of the first trailer for the film, we can get a sense for what the Dark Knight trilogy's director has in store next.
Interstellar is set in a dystopian near-future where the earth's food supply has run out — and Matthew McConaughey's Cooper has been selected to travel into space to find a new world for humankind to inhabit. "We're not meant to save the world. We're meant to leave it," says Michael Caine in the trailer. "We must reach far beyond our own lifespans. We must think not as individuals but as a species. We must confront the reality of interstellar travel."
Christopher Nolan hasn't directed a movie since The Dark Knight Rises, and Interstellar reunites him with several of that movie's cast members, including Caine and Anne Hathaway. But for many moviegoers, an even bigger draw than Nolan might be Matthew McConaughey, who's coming off a Best Actor win for Dallas Buyers Club and a highly acclaimed performance in HBO's True Detective. If that's not enough to get you excited, remember: the last time Christopher Nolan released a totally original movie, we got Inception — so expectations are very high for November, when Interstellar will finally arrive in theaters. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
Subscribe to the Week