- Watch this May 16
Alex Trebek has hinted that he might step down as Jeopardy! host when his contract expires in 2016 — but whatever his future plans, they probably don't include a rap career. When "The 1990s Rap Song" came up as a category during Jeopardy!'s ongoing "Battle of the Decades," Trebek was forced to let his inner M.C. out, and the results aren't likely to score him a record contract.
"'And the lights are blinkin', I'm thinkin' it's all over when I go out drinkin'…' insane in this," raps Trebek, poorly (but coherently enough that the contestant gets the right answer anyway). It goes on from there, but the real embarrassment comes at the end, when all three contestants fail to buzz in to complete the lyric "'I can't stand it, I know you planned it... Listen all ya'll, it's a' this."
Listen up 'cause you can't say nothin', indeed. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week