- Watch this May 17
Does this seem familiar to you, too?
Pitbull's World Cup song "We Are One" has all of the key Pitbull elements (whistling, spoken-word singing, a dress shirt with one button too many unbuttoned) so yes, it's basically that Bud Light commercial and that Dr. Pepper commercial, except it features Jennifer Lopez instead of a beverage.
To be fair: There is a definite formula to these, and the video is basically a redux of Shakira's 2010 World Cup music video. That one, too, featured dancers from the host country, a lot of shots of the different teams' players in action, and as many colors on one person as could possibly be worn. The difference is I listened to "Waka Waka" in its entirety as I finished typing this post, whereas I clicked out of Pitbull's music video as quickly as journalism would allow.
Decide for yourself by checking out the music video, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Immigration, charity, and conservatives' unholy assault on Glenn Beck
Subscribe to the Week