- Watch this May 17
Does this seem familiar to you, too?
Pitbull's World Cup song "We Are One" has all of the key Pitbull elements (whistling, spoken-word singing, a dress shirt with one button too many unbuttoned) so yes, it's basically that Bud Light commercial and that Dr. Pepper commercial, except it features Jennifer Lopez instead of a beverage.
To be fair: There is a definite formula to these, and the video is basically a redux of Shakira's 2010 World Cup music video. That one, too, featured dancers from the host country, a lot of shots of the different teams' players in action, and as many colors on one person as could possibly be worn. The difference is I listened to "Waka Waka" in its entirety as I finished typing this post, whereas I clicked out of Pitbull's music video as quickly as journalism would allow.
Decide for yourself by checking out the music video, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week