- Watch this May 17
Does this seem familiar to you, too?
Pitbull's World Cup song "We Are One" has all of the key Pitbull elements (whistling, spoken-word singing, a dress shirt with one button too many unbuttoned) so yes, it's basically that Bud Light commercial and that Dr. Pepper commercial, except it features Jennifer Lopez instead of a beverage.
To be fair: There is a definite formula to these, and the video is basically a redux of Shakira's 2010 World Cup music video. That one, too, featured dancers from the host country, a lot of shots of the different teams' players in action, and as many colors on one person as could possibly be worn. The difference is I listened to "Waka Waka" in its entirety as I finished typing this post, whereas I clicked out of Pitbull's music video as quickly as journalism would allow.
Decide for yourself by checking out the music video, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 8 ways a simple notebook can change your life
Subscribe to the Week