- Watch this May 17
Does this seem familiar to you, too?
Pitbull's World Cup song "We Are One" has all of the key Pitbull elements (whistling, spoken-word singing, a dress shirt with one button too many unbuttoned) so yes, it's basically that Bud Light commercial and that Dr. Pepper commercial, except it features Jennifer Lopez instead of a beverage.
To be fair: There is a definite formula to these, and the video is basically a redux of Shakira's 2010 World Cup music video. That one, too, featured dancers from the host country, a lot of shots of the different teams' players in action, and as many colors on one person as could possibly be worn. The difference is I listened to "Waka Waka" in its entirety as I finished typing this post, whereas I clicked out of Pitbull's music video as quickly as journalism would allow.
Decide for yourself by checking out the music video, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How one toxic boss can poison your entire office
Subscribe to the Week