- President's Best Friend May 17
Miss Beazley, a former First Dog of the White House, died this weekend after a battle with lymphoma, former President George W. Bush said in a statement released by BNO News.
"(Miss Beazley) was a close companion to her blood relative, Barney. And even though he received all the attention, Beazley never held a grudge against him," the statement read. "Laura and I will miss her."
Bush gave Miss Beazley to his wife Laura as a birthday present in 2005; the Scottish Terrier was named for the character Uncle Beazley, a dinosaur in Oliver Butterworth's children's book, The Enormous Egg. The couple's other dog, Barney, died in 2013.
Below, images of the pups holding down the fort during their days living in Washington, D.C. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to live a long life, according to science
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
Subscribe to the Week