- President's Best Friend May 17
Miss Beazley, a former First Dog of the White House, died this weekend after a battle with lymphoma, former President George W. Bush said in a statement released by BNO News.
"(Miss Beazley) was a close companion to her blood relative, Barney. And even though he received all the attention, Beazley never held a grudge against him," the statement read. "Laura and I will miss her."
Bush gave Miss Beazley to his wife Laura as a birthday present in 2005; the Scottish Terrier was named for the character Uncle Beazley, a dinosaur in Oliver Butterworth's children's book, The Enormous Egg. The couple's other dog, Barney, died in 2013.
Below, images of the pups holding down the fort during their days living in Washington, D.C. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week