- President's Best Friend May 17
Miss Beazley, a former First Dog of the White House, died this weekend after a battle with lymphoma, former President George W. Bush said in a statement released by BNO News.
"(Miss Beazley) was a close companion to her blood relative, Barney. And even though he received all the attention, Beazley never held a grudge against him," the statement read. "Laura and I will miss her."
Bush gave Miss Beazley to his wife Laura as a birthday present in 2005; the Scottish Terrier was named for the character Uncle Beazley, a dinosaur in Oliver Butterworth's children's book, The Enormous Egg. The couple's other dog, Barney, died in 2013.
Below, images of the pups holding down the fort during their days living in Washington, D.C. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week