- President's Best Friend May 17
Miss Beazley, a former First Dog of the White House, died this weekend after a battle with lymphoma, former President George W. Bush said in a statement released by BNO News.
"(Miss Beazley) was a close companion to her blood relative, Barney. And even though he received all the attention, Beazley never held a grudge against him," the statement read. "Laura and I will miss her."
Bush gave Miss Beazley to his wife Laura as a birthday present in 2005; the Scottish Terrier was named for the character Uncle Beazley, a dinosaur in Oliver Butterworth's children's book, The Enormous Egg. The couple's other dog, Barney, died in 2013.
Below, images of the pups holding down the fort during their days living in Washington, D.C. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week