- President's Best Friend May 17
Miss Beazley, a former First Dog of the White House, died this weekend after a battle with lymphoma, former President George W. Bush said in a statement released by BNO News.
"(Miss Beazley) was a close companion to her blood relative, Barney. And even though he received all the attention, Beazley never held a grudge against him," the statement read. "Laura and I will miss her."
Bush gave Miss Beazley to his wife Laura as a birthday present in 2005; the Scottish Terrier was named for the character Uncle Beazley, a dinosaur in Oliver Butterworth's children's book, The Enormous Egg. The couple's other dog, Barney, died in 2013.
Below, images of the pups holding down the fort during their days living in Washington, D.C. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week