- Show me the money May 18
If you thought President Obama's minimum wage proposal was audacious, get a load of this. Swiss voters head to the polls Sunday to cast ballots on whether to establish the world's highest minimum wage. If passed, Switzerland would wind up with a minimum wage of 22 Swiss francs — or roughly $24.65 — per hour.
Meanwhile, the federal minimum wage in the United States has remained unchanged at $7.25 for half a decade. Senate Republicans last month filibustered a Democrat-led effort to raise the wage floor to $10.10 per hour.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Stop hating on cyclists
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week