- Show me the money May 18
If you thought President Obama's minimum wage proposal was audacious, get a load of this. Swiss voters head to the polls Sunday to cast ballots on whether to establish the world's highest minimum wage. If passed, Switzerland would wind up with a minimum wage of 22 Swiss francs — or roughly $24.65 — per hour.
Meanwhile, the federal minimum wage in the United States has remained unchanged at $7.25 for half a decade. Senate Republicans last month filibustered a Democrat-led effort to raise the wage floor to $10.10 per hour.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
Subscribe to the Week