- Show me the money May 18
If you thought President Obama's minimum wage proposal was audacious, get a load of this. Swiss voters head to the polls Sunday to cast ballots on whether to establish the world's highest minimum wage. If passed, Switzerland would wind up with a minimum wage of 22 Swiss francs — or roughly $24.65 — per hour.
Meanwhile, the federal minimum wage in the United States has remained unchanged at $7.25 for half a decade. Senate Republicans last month filibustered a Democrat-led effort to raise the wage floor to $10.10 per hour.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week