- Show me the money May 18
If you thought President Obama's minimum wage proposal was audacious, get a load of this. Swiss voters head to the polls Sunday to cast ballots on whether to establish the world's highest minimum wage. If passed, Switzerland would wind up with a minimum wage of 22 Swiss francs — or roughly $24.65 — per hour.
Meanwhile, the federal minimum wage in the United States has remained unchanged at $7.25 for half a decade. Senate Republicans last month filibustered a Democrat-led effort to raise the wage floor to $10.10 per hour.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Girls on Film: Belle is one of the most groundbreaking, joyous movies of the summer
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week