- This just in May 18
At least 16 people have been detained in connection with the Turkish mine disaster that left 301 workers dead last week, according to multiple reports. The general manager of the mine, Ramazan Dogru, and its operations manager, Akin Celik, were among those arrested, though it was not immediately clear whom else was brought in with them. Other reports peg the number of people detained at 18.
Rescue workers on Saturday recovered the last two missing bodies from the mine, raising the death toll over 300 and making it the worst mining disaster in Turkish history. Protesters have taken to the streets in the past week to criticize the government for allegedly moving too slowly to determine what caused the mine fire and whom should be blamed for it.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
Subscribe to the Week