- This just in May 18
At least 16 people have been detained in connection with the Turkish mine disaster that left 301 workers dead last week, according to multiple reports. The general manager of the mine, Ramazan Dogru, and its operations manager, Akin Celik, were among those arrested, though it was not immediately clear whom else was brought in with them. Other reports peg the number of people detained at 18.
Rescue workers on Saturday recovered the last two missing bodies from the mine, raising the death toll over 300 and making it the worst mining disaster in Turkish history. Protesters have taken to the streets in the past week to criticize the government for allegedly moving too slowly to determine what caused the mine fire and whom should be blamed for it.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
Subscribe to the Week