- This just in May 18
At least 16 people have been detained in connection with the Turkish mine disaster that left 301 workers dead last week, according to multiple reports. The general manager of the mine, Ramazan Dogru, and its operations manager, Akin Celik, were among those arrested, though it was not immediately clear whom else was brought in with them. Other reports peg the number of people detained at 18.
Rescue workers on Saturday recovered the last two missing bodies from the mine, raising the death toll over 300 and making it the worst mining disaster in Turkish history. Protesters have taken to the streets in the past week to criticize the government for allegedly moving too slowly to determine what caused the mine fire and whom should be blamed for it.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week