- Game Set Match May 19
On Sunday night's Last Week Tonight, John Oliver celebrated the 10-year anniversary of Massachusetts legalizing same-sex marriage. He kind of bungled the joke about a lesbian couple and this momentous tin anniversary, but that was soon forgotten when he turned to Nintendo's minor imbroglio about not letting same-sex avatars get hitched in its Tomodachi Life game. It's all pretty tame to this point (especially for HBO), but Nintendo's promise to rectify this virtual gay marriage ban in future games started Oliver imagining the marriage-equality future for older Nintendo games. If you want to preserve your cherished old arcade game memories in virtual amber, don't watch past the 1:45 mark. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
Subscribe to the Week