- Game Set Match May 19
On Sunday night's Last Week Tonight, John Oliver celebrated the 10-year anniversary of Massachusetts legalizing same-sex marriage. He kind of bungled the joke about a lesbian couple and this momentous tin anniversary, but that was soon forgotten when he turned to Nintendo's minor imbroglio about not letting same-sex avatars get hitched in its Tomodachi Life game. It's all pretty tame to this point (especially for HBO), but Nintendo's promise to rectify this virtual gay marriage ban in future games started Oliver imagining the marriage-equality future for older Nintendo games. If you want to preserve your cherished old arcade game memories in virtual amber, don't watch past the 1:45 mark. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Surviving a plane crash
- Stop freaking out over the West's jihadi tourists
Subscribe to the Week