- Game Set Match May 19
On Sunday night's Last Week Tonight, John Oliver celebrated the 10-year anniversary of Massachusetts legalizing same-sex marriage. He kind of bungled the joke about a lesbian couple and this momentous tin anniversary, but that was soon forgotten when he turned to Nintendo's minor imbroglio about not letting same-sex avatars get hitched in its Tomodachi Life game. It's all pretty tame to this point (especially for HBO), but Nintendo's promise to rectify this virtual gay marriage ban in future games started Oliver imagining the marriage-equality future for older Nintendo games. If you want to preserve your cherished old arcade game memories in virtual amber, don't watch past the 1:45 mark. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- How to improve your workplace culture
Subscribe to the Week