- Game Set Match May 19
On Sunday night's Last Week Tonight, John Oliver celebrated the 10-year anniversary of Massachusetts legalizing same-sex marriage. He kind of bungled the joke about a lesbian couple and this momentous tin anniversary, but that was soon forgotten when he turned to Nintendo's minor imbroglio about not letting same-sex avatars get hitched in its Tomodachi Life game. It's all pretty tame to this point (especially for HBO), but Nintendo's promise to rectify this virtual gay marriage ban in future games started Oliver imagining the marriage-equality future for older Nintendo games. If you want to preserve your cherished old arcade game memories in virtual amber, don't watch past the 1:45 mark. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
- Everything you've heard about millennials is wrong
Subscribe to the Week