- 2016 bummer games May 19
A new report from The New York Times describes the water in Rio de Janeiro's Guanabara Bay as one of the most vile places on earth. That's particularly bad, since in two years, the body of water is supposed to play host to the sailing and windsurfing events of the 2016 Summer Olympics. But with reports of floating dog carcasses, sewage contamination, and piles of trash contaminating the water, athletes are becoming increasingly skeptical that this mess of sewage will be a safe environment come 2016.
Several problems, including allegations of corruption and mismanagement, have derailed the bay's cleanup projects since the country pledged to get the water in top shape five years ago. Officials said 80 percent of the water flowing into it would be treated come 2016, but so far, less than 40 percent has been, and what is treated is still extremely tainted.
Those who have dared to dip their feet in Guanabara Bay have blasted the country's cleanup efforts. "Welcome to the dump that is Rio," remarked one German athlete, while Brazilian sailing legend Lars Grael said it was "dark, brown, and stinking." He added that he's spotted human corpses on four different occasions in it.
Rio's top environment official Carlos Portinho dismissed the claims as exaggerated and said the the fecal contamination in the area ranks as "satisfactory" in Brazil. He said new sewage treatment plants, floating "ecobarriers," and high-tech boats will improve the water before the Olympics begin.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
Subscribe to the Week