- So much for "Same Love" May 19
Grammy-winning rapper and outspoken proponent for LGBT rights Macklemore has a bit of a PR disaster on his hands. During a secret show in his hometown of Seattle this weekend, the rapper performed wearing a large prosthetic hook nose, a wig, and a dark beard. Put together, the costume looked strikingly similar to the offensive caricatures of Jews that were widely used as propaganda in Nazi Germany.
Was the costume a deliberate act of racism, or one that was unintentionally offensive? Macklemore, for his part, says it was the latter:
A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody.— Macklemore (@macklemore) May 19, 2014
A quick "sorry" might be nice, though.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week