- So much for "Same Love" May 19
Grammy-winning rapper and outspoken proponent for LGBT rights Macklemore has a bit of a PR disaster on his hands. During a secret show in his hometown of Seattle this weekend, the rapper performed wearing a large prosthetic hook nose, a wig, and a dark beard. Put together, the costume looked strikingly similar to the offensive caricatures of Jews that were widely used as propaganda in Nazi Germany.
Was the costume a deliberate act of racism, or one that was unintentionally offensive? Macklemore, for his part, says it was the latter:
A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody.— Macklemore (@macklemore) May 19, 2014
A quick "sorry" might be nice, though.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week