- So much for "Same Love" May 19
Grammy-winning rapper and outspoken proponent for LGBT rights Macklemore has a bit of a PR disaster on his hands. During a secret show in his hometown of Seattle this weekend, the rapper performed wearing a large prosthetic hook nose, a wig, and a dark beard. Put together, the costume looked strikingly similar to the offensive caricatures of Jews that were widely used as propaganda in Nazi Germany.
Was the costume a deliberate act of racism, or one that was unintentionally offensive? Macklemore, for his part, says it was the latter:
A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody.— Macklemore (@macklemore) May 19, 2014
A quick "sorry" might be nice, though.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week