- Whoa May 19
By taking the annual intake of prisoners and dividing by population, Keith Humphreys has made an incredible chart:
What's the story? Crime has been falling fast for over 20 years, for one. Second is the sheer size of the prison population, which is still so mind-bogglingly huge that growth was becoming very hard to sustain (and to be clear, America still has the highest incarceration rate in the world). A third reason, and one which isn't as appreciated, is a movement among conservatives to reform our prisons, in large part because of their sheer expense.
Whatever the reason, this is certainly great news.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- The next pandemic
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week