- Whoa May 19
By taking the annual intake of prisoners and dividing by population, Keith Humphreys has made an incredible chart:
What's the story? Crime has been falling fast for over 20 years, for one. Second is the sheer size of the prison population, which is still so mind-bogglingly huge that growth was becoming very hard to sustain (and to be clear, America still has the highest incarceration rate in the world). A third reason, and one which isn't as appreciated, is a movement among conservatives to reform our prisons, in large part because of their sheer expense.
Whatever the reason, this is certainly great news.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Head to head: Wild vs. supermarket turkeys
Subscribe to the Week