- Whoa May 19
By taking the annual intake of prisoners and dividing by population, Keith Humphreys has made an incredible chart:
What's the story? Crime has been falling fast for over 20 years, for one. Second is the sheer size of the prison population, which is still so mind-bogglingly huge that growth was becoming very hard to sustain (and to be clear, America still has the highest incarceration rate in the world). A third reason, and one which isn't as appreciated, is a movement among conservatives to reform our prisons, in large part because of their sheer expense.
Whatever the reason, this is certainly great news.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week