- Oh, Florida May 19
Swimmers at a beach near Tampa Bay spotted something slightly unusual on Saturday: an elephant casually bathing in the shallow waters. Since they weren't hallucinating, beach-goers were left wondering how the pachyderm got there.
Apparently, the city approved a person's request to have a trained elephant present at a birthday party back in February. How the giant mammal got away, however, is another mystery.
Here's a video of the elephant enjoying itself on the beach, in case you need a moment of zen this afternoon. Florida, you keep doing you. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week