- Oh, Florida May 19
Swimmers at a beach near Tampa Bay spotted something slightly unusual on Saturday: an elephant casually bathing in the shallow waters. Since they weren't hallucinating, beach-goers were left wondering how the pachyderm got there.
Apparently, the city approved a person's request to have a trained elephant present at a birthday party back in February. How the giant mammal got away, however, is another mystery.
Here's a video of the elephant enjoying itself on the beach, in case you need a moment of zen this afternoon. Florida, you keep doing you. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week