- Oh, Florida May 19
Swimmers at a beach near Tampa Bay spotted something slightly unusual on Saturday: an elephant casually bathing in the shallow waters. Since they weren't hallucinating, beach-goers were left wondering how the pachyderm got there.
Apparently, the city approved a person's request to have a trained elephant present at a birthday party back in February. How the giant mammal got away, however, is another mystery.
Here's a video of the elephant enjoying itself on the beach, in case you need a moment of zen this afternoon. Florida, you keep doing you. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
Subscribe to the Week