- Hold your fire May 20
Chipotle has kindly asked that patrons use their hands only to stuff burritos and chips and guac in their mouths — and not to wave firearms around inside their stores. The fast food chain said Monday that a recent "open carry" demonstration — in which pro-gun activists go to public places while brandishing assault weapons and the like — prompted it to make the policy announcement.
The demonstration caused "many of our customers anxiety and discomfort," Chipotle said in a statement, adding that "because of this, we are respectfully asking that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel."
So from now on, the only guns allowed in Chipotle restaurants will be those tucked in Texas Pete's holsters.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week