- Hold your fire May 20
Chipotle has kindly asked that patrons use their hands only to stuff burritos and chips and guac in their mouths — and not to wave firearms around inside their stores. The fast food chain said Monday that a recent "open carry" demonstration — in which pro-gun activists go to public places while brandishing assault weapons and the like — prompted it to make the policy announcement.
The demonstration caused "many of our customers anxiety and discomfort," Chipotle said in a statement, adding that "because of this, we are respectfully asking that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel."
So from now on, the only guns allowed in Chipotle restaurants will be those tucked in Texas Pete's holsters.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week