- Hold your fire May 20
Chipotle has kindly asked that patrons use their hands only to stuff burritos and chips and guac in their mouths — and not to wave firearms around inside their stores. The fast food chain said Monday that a recent "open carry" demonstration — in which pro-gun activists go to public places while brandishing assault weapons and the like — prompted it to make the policy announcement.
The demonstration caused "many of our customers anxiety and discomfort," Chipotle said in a statement, adding that "because of this, we are respectfully asking that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel."
So from now on, the only guns allowed in Chipotle restaurants will be those tucked in Texas Pete's holsters.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Puppies take the plunge
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
Subscribe to the Week