- World Cup May 20
Not even soccer legend Pele is excited for next month's FIFA World Cup in Brazil. The country's most celebrated athlete recently told a German magazine that he's disgusted with Brazil's lack of preparedness for global spectacle.
"The political situation is difficult. The situation worries me," he told Sport Blid. "There has been sufficient time to bring the stadiums to completion. It's unacceptable. It's a disgrace."
Several of the stadiums have been steeped in construction delays, with three of 12 not even being completed yet. The World Cup is slated to kick off June 12.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week