- World Cup May 20
Not even soccer legend Pele is excited for next month's FIFA World Cup in Brazil. The country's most celebrated athlete recently told a German magazine that he's disgusted with Brazil's lack of preparedness for global spectacle.
"The political situation is difficult. The situation worries me," he told Sport Blid. "There has been sufficient time to bring the stadiums to completion. It's unacceptable. It's a disgrace."
Several of the stadiums have been steeped in construction delays, with three of 12 not even being completed yet. The World Cup is slated to kick off June 12.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week