- May the force be with you May 21
In the first video from the set of Star Wars: Episode VII, J.J. Abrams offers fans the ultimate Star Wars prize: a chance to personally visit a galaxy far, far away. "You get to meet the cast, go behind the scenes, and see the whole movie-making process," promises Abrams in the video, which promotes a new charity push that's built around the highly anticipated sequel. "But more than that, we'll put you through hair and makeup, and you'll be in the movie. That's right: you'll be in Star Wars." All donations benefit UNICEF Innovations Labs & Programs, and as little as $10 will nab you an entry.
But whether or not you win the grand prize, this video has a little something extra that should appeal to any Star Wars fan: the introduction of a brand-new alien in the Star Wars universe. The creature has a hat, a beard, and a long, birdlike neck, and is carrying a cage full of what look like miniature ostriches. The creature definitely looks more "original trilogy" than "prequel trilogy" — a hopeful sign that Episode VII is headed in the right direction. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Will the Higgs Boson destroy the universe in a cosmic death bubble?
- Your 2-year-old doesn't need to go to school
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week