- May the force be with you May 21
In the first video from the set of Star Wars: Episode VII, J.J. Abrams offers fans the ultimate Star Wars prize: a chance to personally visit a galaxy far, far away. "You get to meet the cast, go behind the scenes, and see the whole movie-making process," promises Abrams in the video, which promotes a new charity push that's built around the highly anticipated sequel. "But more than that, we'll put you through hair and makeup, and you'll be in the movie. That's right: you'll be in Star Wars." All donations benefit UNICEF Innovations Labs & Programs, and as little as $10 will nab you an entry.
But whether or not you win the grand prize, this video has a little something extra that should appeal to any Star Wars fan: the introduction of a brand-new alien in the Star Wars universe. The creature has a hat, a beard, and a long, birdlike neck, and is carrying a cage full of what look like miniature ostriches. The creature definitely looks more "original trilogy" than "prequel trilogy" — a hopeful sign that Episode VII is headed in the right direction. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week