- May the force be with you May 21
In the first video from the set of Star Wars: Episode VII, J.J. Abrams offers fans the ultimate Star Wars prize: a chance to personally visit a galaxy far, far away. "You get to meet the cast, go behind the scenes, and see the whole movie-making process," promises Abrams in the video, which promotes a new charity push that's built around the highly anticipated sequel. "But more than that, we'll put you through hair and makeup, and you'll be in the movie. That's right: you'll be in Star Wars." All donations benefit UNICEF Innovations Labs & Programs, and as little as $10 will nab you an entry.
But whether or not you win the grand prize, this video has a little something extra that should appeal to any Star Wars fan: the introduction of a brand-new alien in the Star Wars universe. The creature has a hat, a beard, and a long, birdlike neck, and is carrying a cage full of what look like miniature ostriches. The creature definitely looks more "original trilogy" than "prequel trilogy" — a hopeful sign that Episode VII is headed in the right direction. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week