- Coming Soon May 21
After the darkness of last year's Blue Jasmine, Woody Allen has slipped back into the rom-com genre for his next film: Magic in the Moonlight, a period piece set in the 1930s in which a skeptic (Colin Firth) attempts to disprove the powers of a woman who claims to be clairvoyant (Emma Stone).
As usual, Allen has assembled a formidable cast to tell his latest story: In addition to Firth and Stone, Magic in the Moonlight features Jacki Weaver, Marcia Gay Harden, and Hamish Linklater in supporting roles.
"I believe that the dull reality of life is all there is, but you are proof that there's more. More mystery, more magic," Firth says to Stone at the end of the trailer. It looks like Magic in the Moonlight is a return to the romantic charm of 2011's Oscar-nominated Midnight in Paris, but we'll have to wait until the film hits theaters in July to find out. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
Subscribe to the Week