- Coming Soon May 21
After the darkness of last year's Blue Jasmine, Woody Allen has slipped back into the rom-com genre for his next film: Magic in the Moonlight, a period piece set in the 1930s in which a skeptic (Colin Firth) attempts to disprove the powers of a woman who claims to be clairvoyant (Emma Stone).
As usual, Allen has assembled a formidable cast to tell his latest story: In addition to Firth and Stone, Magic in the Moonlight features Jacki Weaver, Marcia Gay Harden, and Hamish Linklater in supporting roles.
"I believe that the dull reality of life is all there is, but you are proof that there's more. More mystery, more magic," Firth says to Stone at the end of the trailer. It looks like Magic in the Moonlight is a return to the romantic charm of 2011's Oscar-nominated Midnight in Paris, but we'll have to wait until the film hits theaters in July to find out. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
Subscribe to the Week