- Coming Soon May 21
After the darkness of last year's Blue Jasmine, Woody Allen has slipped back into the rom-com genre for his next film: Magic in the Moonlight, a period piece set in the 1930s in which a skeptic (Colin Firth) attempts to disprove the powers of a woman who claims to be clairvoyant (Emma Stone).
As usual, Allen has assembled a formidable cast to tell his latest story: In addition to Firth and Stone, Magic in the Moonlight features Jacki Weaver, Marcia Gay Harden, and Hamish Linklater in supporting roles.
"I believe that the dull reality of life is all there is, but you are proof that there's more. More mystery, more magic," Firth says to Stone at the end of the trailer. It looks like Magic in the Moonlight is a return to the romantic charm of 2011's Oscar-nominated Midnight in Paris, but we'll have to wait until the film hits theaters in July to find out. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week