- scary situation May 21
The joy of receiving a new $10 million yacht quickly turned into a nightmare when witnesses heard "blood-curdling" screams after it started sinking. First responders in Anacortes, Washington rushed to the bay Sunday night to rescue five men who became trapped in the boat as the water rose.
KIRO-TV reports rescuers had to smash the windows of the 90-foot yacht to reach the men. "It seemed like forever, but it was probably 60 seconds to a minute," said Wade Benda, who was aboard the boat. The yacht capsized just as the workers placed it into the water for its owner. Thankfully no one was seriously injured, but the ship was seriously damaged during the rescue. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- How to save Meet the Press
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week