- scary situation May 21
The joy of receiving a new $10 million yacht quickly turned into a nightmare when witnesses heard "blood-curdling" screams after it started sinking. First responders in Anacortes, Washington rushed to the bay Sunday night to rescue five men who became trapped in the boat as the water rose.
KIRO-TV reports rescuers had to smash the windows of the 90-foot yacht to reach the men. "It seemed like forever, but it was probably 60 seconds to a minute," said Wade Benda, who was aboard the boat. The yacht capsized just as the workers placed it into the water for its owner. Thankfully no one was seriously injured, but the ship was seriously damaged during the rescue. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 10 things you need to know today: December 18, 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- What the media gets wrong about Jeb Bush
Subscribe to the Week