- scary situation May 21
The joy of receiving a new $10 million yacht quickly turned into a nightmare when witnesses heard "blood-curdling" screams after it started sinking. First responders in Anacortes, Washington rushed to the bay Sunday night to rescue five men who became trapped in the boat as the water rose.
KIRO-TV reports rescuers had to smash the windows of the 90-foot yacht to reach the men. "It seemed like forever, but it was probably 60 seconds to a minute," said Wade Benda, who was aboard the boat. The yacht capsized just as the workers placed it into the water for its owner. Thankfully no one was seriously injured, but the ship was seriously damaged during the rescue. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week