- scary situation May 21
The joy of receiving a new $10 million yacht quickly turned into a nightmare when witnesses heard "blood-curdling" screams after it started sinking. First responders in Anacortes, Washington rushed to the bay Sunday night to rescue five men who became trapped in the boat as the water rose.
KIRO-TV reports rescuers had to smash the windows of the 90-foot yacht to reach the men. "It seemed like forever, but it was probably 60 seconds to a minute," said Wade Benda, who was aboard the boat. The yacht capsized just as the workers placed it into the water for its owner. Thankfully no one was seriously injured, but the ship was seriously damaged during the rescue. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
- Confronting our twisted relationship with food
Subscribe to the Week