- scary situation May 21
The joy of receiving a new $10 million yacht quickly turned into a nightmare when witnesses heard "blood-curdling" screams after it started sinking. First responders in Anacortes, Washington rushed to the bay Sunday night to rescue five men who became trapped in the boat as the water rose.
KIRO-TV reports rescuers had to smash the windows of the 90-foot yacht to reach the men. "It seemed like forever, but it was probably 60 seconds to a minute," said Wade Benda, who was aboard the boat. The yacht capsized just as the workers placed it into the water for its owner. Thankfully no one was seriously injured, but the ship was seriously damaged during the rescue. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week