- Gay marriage May 21
Four same-sex couples filed suit Wednesday to overturn Montana's ban on gay marriage. As a result, there are now only two states — North Dakota and South Dakota — that still ban gay marriage but are not facing legal challenges that would nix those laws. That number could soon drop to one, too, as a same-sex couple in South Dakota is planning to file suit shortly.
Though the cases around the nation will take some time to work their way through the courts, there is a solid chance they will come out in favor of same-sex advocates. Since the Supreme Court overturned the Defense of Marriage Act last year, 13 courts in a row have ruled in support of gay marriage.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Rise of the machines
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week