- #murica May 21
Emma Roller at National Journal has crunched the numbers, and it's true.
The House Science, Space, and Technology Committee — led by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) since 2013 — has held 15 hearings on space exploration alone, at least three of which have involved the search for extraterrestrial life. By comparison, Smith's committee has held just two hearings devoted to climate change. [National Journal]
In case it wasn't clear, Smith is something of a climate change skeptic. And while his colleagues in the Senate haven't exactly been tearing up the upper chamber with hearings on the greatest existential threat facing mankind, antipathy toward investigating the issue is particularly prevalent in the GOP-controlled House.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week