- happening now May 22
Thailand's army chief, Gen. Prayuth Chan-Ocha, announced Thursday that the military is taking over the country, ousting the caretaker government in a coup. When it declared martial law on Tuesday, the army insisted it wasn't staging a coup. But apparently two days of talks between the remaining government of ousted Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the opposition failed to produce a result acceptable to the army chief.
According to Voice of America, this is the Thai military's 12th coup in 80 years.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week