- nothing matters May 22
Almost a third of Americans are political nihilists, a new poll shows. According to an Associated Press-GfK survey out today, roughly 46 percent of Americans "don't care very much" about which party controls Congress. Thirty-one percent went further still, saying it "doesn't matter" who wins. About the same number said they'd prefer Republican leadership.
Support for Democrats, at 37 percent, remained mostly unchanged since the poll was taken last March. Republican support, however, dipped slightly.
"I think that in general people who are in Congress and people who have enough money to run for Congress are only in it for themselves," said Jill Narushof, a mother of two. "I don't see very many who are really interested in serving."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
Subscribe to the Week