- nothing matters May 22
Almost a third of Americans are political nihilists, a new poll shows. According to an Associated Press-GfK survey out today, roughly 46 percent of Americans "don't care very much" about which party controls Congress. Thirty-one percent went further still, saying it "doesn't matter" who wins. About the same number said they'd prefer Republican leadership.
Support for Democrats, at 37 percent, remained mostly unchanged since the poll was taken last March. Republican support, however, dipped slightly.
"I think that in general people who are in Congress and people who have enough money to run for Congress are only in it for themselves," said Jill Narushof, a mother of two. "I don't see very many who are really interested in serving."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week