- nothing matters May 22
Almost a third of Americans are political nihilists, a new poll shows. According to an Associated Press-GfK survey out today, roughly 46 percent of Americans "don't care very much" about which party controls Congress. Thirty-one percent went further still, saying it "doesn't matter" who wins. About the same number said they'd prefer Republican leadership.
Support for Democrats, at 37 percent, remained mostly unchanged since the poll was taken last March. Republican support, however, dipped slightly.
"I think that in general people who are in Congress and people who have enough money to run for Congress are only in it for themselves," said Jill Narushof, a mother of two. "I don't see very many who are really interested in serving."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
Subscribe to the Week