- nothing matters May 22
Almost a third of Americans are political nihilists, a new poll shows. According to an Associated Press-GfK survey out today, roughly 46 percent of Americans "don't care very much" about which party controls Congress. Thirty-one percent went further still, saying it "doesn't matter" who wins. About the same number said they'd prefer Republican leadership.
Support for Democrats, at 37 percent, remained mostly unchanged since the poll was taken last March. Republican support, however, dipped slightly.
"I think that in general people who are in Congress and people who have enough money to run for Congress are only in it for themselves," said Jill Narushof, a mother of two. "I don't see very many who are really interested in serving."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
Subscribe to the Week