- nothing matters May 22
Almost a third of Americans are political nihilists, a new poll shows. According to an Associated Press-GfK survey out today, roughly 46 percent of Americans "don't care very much" about which party controls Congress. Thirty-one percent went further still, saying it "doesn't matter" who wins. About the same number said they'd prefer Republican leadership.
Support for Democrats, at 37 percent, remained mostly unchanged since the poll was taken last March. Republican support, however, dipped slightly.
"I think that in general people who are in Congress and people who have enough money to run for Congress are only in it for themselves," said Jill Narushof, a mother of two. "I don't see very many who are really interested in serving."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- Uber, and the growing threat of corporate surveillance
Subscribe to the Week