- unbearable May 30
In the unlikely event that a bear attacks you, you'll be pleased to know that playing dead actually works in helping you escape death.
When a brown bear began attacking Jessica Gamboa on an Alaskan military base near Anchorage, she dropped into the fetal position and stayed silent and still. It was a move that ultimately saved her life.
The bear quickly lost interest in her, but Gamboa didn't escape unscathed. Despite a torn ear and lacerations on her neck, arms, and legs, she mustered the strength to call 911 and was admitted to a local hospital.
"I actually can't even believe this actually really happened," Gamboa said. "It seems still surreal, just for the fact that I'm still alive — seems unreal."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
Subscribe to the Week