- unbearable May 30
In the unlikely event that a bear attacks you, you'll be pleased to know that playing dead actually works in helping you escape death.
When a brown bear began attacking Jessica Gamboa on an Alaskan military base near Anchorage, she dropped into the fetal position and stayed silent and still. It was a move that ultimately saved her life.
The bear quickly lost interest in her, but Gamboa didn't escape unscathed. Despite a torn ear and lacerations on her neck, arms, and legs, she mustered the strength to call 911 and was admitted to a local hospital.
"I actually can't even believe this actually really happened," Gamboa said. "It seems still surreal, just for the fact that I'm still alive — seems unreal."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Could better U.S.-Cuban relations thwart baseball's human smuggling problem?
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week