- unbearable May 30
In the unlikely event that a bear attacks you, you'll be pleased to know that playing dead actually works in helping you escape death.
When a brown bear began attacking Jessica Gamboa on an Alaskan military base near Anchorage, she dropped into the fetal position and stayed silent and still. It was a move that ultimately saved her life.
The bear quickly lost interest in her, but Gamboa didn't escape unscathed. Despite a torn ear and lacerations on her neck, arms, and legs, she mustered the strength to call 911 and was admitted to a local hospital.
"I actually can't even believe this actually really happened," Gamboa said. "It seems still surreal, just for the fact that I'm still alive — seems unreal."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Why insects are the future of food
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week