- unbearable May 30
In the unlikely event that a bear attacks you, you'll be pleased to know that playing dead actually works in helping you escape death.
When a brown bear began attacking Jessica Gamboa on an Alaskan military base near Anchorage, she dropped into the fetal position and stayed silent and still. It was a move that ultimately saved her life.
The bear quickly lost interest in her, but Gamboa didn't escape unscathed. Despite a torn ear and lacerations on her neck, arms, and legs, she mustered the strength to call 911 and was admitted to a local hospital.
"I actually can't even believe this actually really happened," Gamboa said. "It seems still surreal, just for the fact that I'm still alive — seems unreal."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week