- The Daily Showdown June 3
On Monday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart started out by noting the cancellation of Egypt's homegrown version of The Daily Show, hosted by Bassem Youssef, known widely as "Egypt's Jon Stewart." But America's Jon Stewart quickly pivoted from the slide toward dictatorship in Egypt to the news back home from his week off. Mostly, he focused on the mass shooting in Isla Vista, California, and the response: A resigned shrug.
Stewart didn't exactly apportion blame for this step to the last stage of grief, acceptance, but he documented it by showing a handful of cable news clips. And if the news media doesn't exactly get the blame for this resignation to the occasional slaughter, it ends up the cleverly jaundiced punchline from the Daily Show cast. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week