- The Daily Showdown June 3
On Monday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart started out by noting the cancellation of Egypt's homegrown version of The Daily Show, hosted by Bassem Youssef, known widely as "Egypt's Jon Stewart." But America's Jon Stewart quickly pivoted from the slide toward dictatorship in Egypt to the news back home from his week off. Mostly, he focused on the mass shooting in Isla Vista, California, and the response: A resigned shrug.
Stewart didn't exactly apportion blame for this step to the last stage of grief, acceptance, but he documented it by showing a handful of cable news clips. And if the news media doesn't exactly get the blame for this resignation to the occasional slaughter, it ends up the cleverly jaundiced punchline from the Daily Show cast. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
Subscribe to the Week