- The Daily Showdown June 3
On Monday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart started out by noting the cancellation of Egypt's homegrown version of The Daily Show, hosted by Bassem Youssef, known widely as "Egypt's Jon Stewart." But America's Jon Stewart quickly pivoted from the slide toward dictatorship in Egypt to the news back home from his week off. Mostly, he focused on the mass shooting in Isla Vista, California, and the response: A resigned shrug.
Stewart didn't exactly apportion blame for this step to the last stage of grief, acceptance, but he documented it by showing a handful of cable news clips. And if the news media doesn't exactly get the blame for this resignation to the occasional slaughter, it ends up the cleverly jaundiced punchline from the Daily Show cast. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week