- The Daily Showdown June 3
On Monday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart started out by noting the cancellation of Egypt's homegrown version of The Daily Show, hosted by Bassem Youssef, known widely as "Egypt's Jon Stewart." But America's Jon Stewart quickly pivoted from the slide toward dictatorship in Egypt to the news back home from his week off. Mostly, he focused on the mass shooting in Isla Vista, California, and the response: A resigned shrug.
Stewart didn't exactly apportion blame for this step to the last stage of grief, acceptance, but he documented it by showing a handful of cable news clips. And if the news media doesn't exactly get the blame for this resignation to the occasional slaughter, it ends up the cleverly jaundiced punchline from the Daily Show cast. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week