- Allons-y! June 3
How do you get more people to bike to work? For France, the answer to that question is simple: Pay them.
Yes, France is launching a six-month trial program that will pay people a small stipend — 25 euro cents per kilometer — when they ride to the office. The government hopes the plan will up ridership by 50 percent, and will re-assess whether to continue it later this year. As Treehugger notes, similar efforts in Belgium and the Netherlands helped boost ridership in those nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week