- The Daily Showdown June 4
If you're wondering how, in three short days, the rescue of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the last known American P.O.W., went from "a magnificent, wonderful story" to a "complicated, clouded, controversial" political football, Jon Stewart doesn't have any pat answers. But on Tuesday night's Daily Show, he had an idea. First, Stewart walked through the story, starting with the surprise swap of Bergdahl for five senior Taliban members, then adding on the onion-layers of criticism.
He didn't exactly apportion blame for the story's descent into controversy, but he did throw some sharp elbows at Fox News and the White House. So how did this "clear-cut story of American heroism in a war get complicated?" Stewart asked, finally. "Oh, right, it's a war." As far as explanations go, that'll have to do. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What's wrong with Europe’s economy?
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
Subscribe to the Week