- The Daily Showdown June 4
If you're wondering how, in three short days, the rescue of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the last known American P.O.W., went from "a magnificent, wonderful story" to a "complicated, clouded, controversial" political football, Jon Stewart doesn't have any pat answers. But on Tuesday night's Daily Show, he had an idea. First, Stewart walked through the story, starting with the surprise swap of Bergdahl for five senior Taliban members, then adding on the onion-layers of criticism.
He didn't exactly apportion blame for the story's descent into controversy, but he did throw some sharp elbows at Fox News and the White House. So how did this "clear-cut story of American heroism in a war get complicated?" Stewart asked, finally. "Oh, right, it's a war." As far as explanations go, that'll have to do. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Why everyone got upset about Marriott's plan to increase housekeepers' pay
Subscribe to the Week