- The future has arrived June 5
Back in 1999, the future belonged to Microsoft. It was so dominant in the computer/IT market — Windows, Office, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player — that a few years later the European Union would slap it with a hefty antitrust judgment and fine. Now, Microsoft is merely a tech giant competing against everyone from Apple and Google to Nintendo and Facebook. Those companies, it turns out, have helped make a reality out of much of this 1999 Microsoft concept video of the "smart home" of the future. The Jetsons, today, if you will. One quibble: Rosie is the Jetsons' robotic housekeeper — isn't Astro their dog? --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week